Securing Intellectual Property is a genuine concern for the E-Learning Community
By Manish Srivastava | Monday, 20 August 2012, 05:03 Hrs
Intellectual property (IP) is a term that refers to a number of distinct types of creations of the mind for which property rights are recognised--and the corresponding fields of law. Under intellectual property law, owners are granted certain exclusive rights to a variety of intangible assets, such as musical, literary, and artistic works, discoveries and inventions and designs. Common types of intellectual property include copyrights, trademarks, patents, industrial design rights and trade secrets in some jurisdictions.
Increasingly, businesses are becoming painfully aware that while there are plenty of outsiders who would like to steal some, if not all of their information. Those with the greatest access- the insiders, are the biggest threat.
In the face of technology obsolescence and rapid introduction of new products and services, Cost effective Training has become imperative. Companies invest huge money in creating training content for their professional training. Education sector has also adopted the new way of teaching by using high end training content designed by field experts. Computer based training not only gives freedom of learning by utilising the expertís training methods that is used elsewhere in the world but also reduces the training cost.
E-Learning and Training business is evolutionary in nature and driven by new innovations. Innovations vary in the form of unique content, way of teaching the common content, fragmenting the process in more comprehensive and simple ways etc. With the availability of high end graphics editor the content developed can be easily reconstructed with very little effort and the content value would be about the same. Success of these businesses highly depends on how they protect their intellectual property.
- Distribution methods and challenges
- Typically, industry uses encryption in order to prevent the unauthorized from having access to information. But encryption has a major weakness when it comes to information protection. When information has only been encrypted, once it is decrypted the authorized user cannot be prevented from doing whatever they like with the information. In fact, it is totally impossible for the sender of encrypted information to prevent its misuse by the authorized recipient, and it is quite impossible to prove piracy by an authorized recipient.
- Further, access controls are used to try and protect information for which it is the custodian. Access controls only really work inside the enterprise. Once you get outside the enterprise network, it is almost impossible to maintain that control. Also, access controls work at the file level rather than the content level, or at the record level in a database. Neither of these fit the requirement of controlling subsequent use and distribution, which is what DRM is all about
- Online DRM verification is most popular, cost effective and easy to implement but in developing countries where internet connectivity is not very favourable for running heavy content online all the time, offline distribution is only way for majority of target customers. If a publisher wants to serve both target (Online & Offline), it becomes difficult to achieve security because the leakage can easily happen via offline distribution. Typically educational content varies from 100 Mb to 4 Gb. Content viewing or downloading over internet may not be feasible for most of the end customers.
- Distribution methods and challenges
- Digital rights management (DRM) is a generic term for access control technologies that can be used by hardware manufacturers, publishers, copyright holders and individuals to impose limitations on the usage of digital content and devices. The term is used to describe any technology that inhibits the use of digital content where it is not desired or intended by the content provider. The term does not generally refer to other forms of copy protection which can be circumvented without modifying the file or device, such as serial numbers or key files. It can also refer to restrictions associated with specific instances of digital works or devices.
- DRM PROCESS
- A DRM system usually has the following software components: content protection software, a content distribution server or media, a license server and a content viewer/plug-in.
- DRM offers industry information providers, which include the Content publishes, financial industries, analysts, consultants, and programmers (applications, games) database owners and so on, as well as the record and film industries, with significant potential.
- DRM significantly extends the old IT controls and provides a much finer grained control over the ability of the user to make use of an item. Attempts to link finer grained control to micro-payments controls has not been successful so far, and may prove to be unattainable in the longer term because the cost of operating the mechanism exceeds the possible income per transaction. Speculation that web costs are zero may be correct for the end user, but studies have demonstrated that information service providers actually pay to have their information made available on the web. The correct mechanism to implement DRM will vary significantly with the delivery requirement. Services that require high speed decryption still need to be implemented in hardware if they are to work in an online situation. Real time services can only be delivered using dedicated hardware, and owners requiring this service should be aware of this limitation.
- When some of DRM solutions are specific to the industry, most of solutions are generic and do not cover all the security threats or itís very complicated that an industry does not enjoy the flexibility of distribution. Almost all solution targets some specific channel like Adobeís recent release of Flash Access which implements DRM on distribution over internet i.e. content hosted at server which essentially has the licensing server installed and the contents are locked to the domain or the licensing is extended in case user opts to download for offline usage. Offline License control is still a big threat for publishers which are not covered by most of DRM providers.
- About Trinity D-Vault
- Trinity Future in Pvt Limited is into invention & development of application & data security products to stop Counterfeiting and Piracy, license management and control using wide range of channel which consists of Trinityís patented USB & online. Trinityís solutions cater to most Content publishing sectors and however its solutions are well suited to the E-learning content segment and it works better with more flexibility than any other solution.
- Trinityís D-Vault (Data Vault) is comprehensive solution to address all security threats to data leakage & intellectual property protection with simplicity and completeness. Trinity understands the need of industry specific use cases and has accordingly designed its hardware as well as software so that companies can select the best suited model and uses the most relevant licensing policies. D-Vault comes with large range of licensing options depending on the business model. D-Vault covers offline distribution channel using Trinfin Special Dongle as well as online distribution. For E-learning community D-Vault covers all modes of application like offline web application, standalone application, LAN based offline solution, Exe based standalone or LAN client.
- Trinityís D-Vault is compatible to popular LMS [Learning Management Systems] also. It allows in securing the distribution, deployment and integrated execution of SCROM complaint courses on LMS. Licensing option covers time limitation, server machine binding, concurrent usage, renewal which could be offline or online. Unlike other players in the market who are file format specific and requires licensing server , Trinityís D-Vault is more generic and can also serve the offline distribution & policy enforcement.
- For more details about Trinfin USB-Vault visit www.trifuturein.com or contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- First up, I'd like to congratulate Trinity team for successfully delivering the encryption solution requested by HeyMath! . I have to make special mention of the effort put in by the Trinity team to finish this project.There were occasions when I had requested for some fixes in the app which were attended to on holidays. I am truly impressed by the promptness shown by Trinity team.
Working with Trinity over the duration of the projects, I have learned a lot of new things.
- Anjan, Heymath!
- more testimonials
Itís rare to find such a complete womenís selection. Weíre proud to provide it. replica watches uk
are synonymous with style and class. We offer a beautiful, luxurious and affordable alternative to the very pricey replica watches sale
. With Amatory you donít have to be Donald Trump to enjoy a Rolex watch.Ē Patek Philippe Replica Watches is a style having quite enough admirers both among men and women. When you've got everything pretty much how you want it, choose the right breitling replica uk
for your cabinet. Follow these tips and you're sure to have a trendy, functional replica watches sale
in no time. Patek Philippe watches are one of the most recognized brands in the world.replica watches uk
story is full of wonderful events. The company has many unusual clocks. rolex replica uk
is the result of an avant-garde aesthetics and philosophy of looking for creative perfection.